The Influenza season is near and we hope you are seriously considering providing the vaccine for your team to control influenza in your workplace this year.
Our approved vaccinators are readily available for your onsite service or at our clinics if vouchers are preferred.
This year’s vaccine is available from March onwards and contains protection from:
• A/California/7/2009 (H1N1) – like virus
• A/Victoria/361/2011 (H3N2) – like virus
• B/Hubei-Wujiagang/158/2009-like virus
Why is influenza immunisation needed every year?
Annual immunisation is required for two key reasons:
1. Protection lessens over time
2. Each year, influenza can be caused by different influenza viruses that are not represented in the previous year’s vaccine. The vaccine is reformulated annually to contain the most up to date composition of viral antigens, to ensure your employees get the best vaccine match against likely circulating strains.
National Influenza Specialist Group’s key messages for 2013: Influenza (commonly called the flu) can be a serious illness that is sometimes fatal. Infection with the influenza virus may lead to a stay in hospital for any age group, but particularly if you are elderly or have an ongoing medical condition, such as asthma or diabetes, a lot worse.
Even if you do not end up in hospital, influenza can keep you im bed for a week or more, preventing you from doing work, sport or just about anything that requires leaving the house.
REMEMBER, the influenza vaccine only protects against influenze, a serious viral illness. It doesn’t protect against the common cold or other viruses and diseases in circulation.