Leadership is the core of every successful business. A true leader is someone who doesn’t just manage and envision, but inspires leadership in others, as well. In order to promote leadership in their companies, employers need to establish company core values that integrate ethical, leadership, and innovation principles. Core values alone are not enough, however. Employers also need to provide training programs to improve employee skills, and promote leadership recognition that will help motivate employees.
Why is leadership important?
Leadership not only keeps a business running, it also inspires creativity and innovation. Companies with true leadership will foster employees who are more motivated, and who express their creativity more frequently. These companies will produce an overall better product or service that will allow the employer to remain at the forefront of their industry.
Characteristics of a great leader
Great leaders will possess the characteristics listed below:
• Possess clear direction – True leaders have the ability to establish a clear direction in their goals, and will effectively communicate that direction to others. These individuals don’t get easily distracted or side tracked by small details. They will always work proactively rather than reactively.
• Motivate and inspire others – These leaders have the ability to help others see the purpose in their work, and help motivate them to do better. These individuals also understand that learning styles vary, and that the best way to reach employees is through their preferred learning style.
• Possess good communication skills – Good communication skills are crucial in delivering direction and goals to employees. These individuals are also very personable, and can develop relationships with their employees that help them stay motivated and loyal to the company.
• Remain positive – Although many leaders are faced with many challenges in their positions, great leaders will remain positive during a crisis, and focus on solutions for the problems they’re facing.
• Remain solution-driven – These individuals remain focused on the main goal or bigger picture, rather than specific details or problems. They focus on fixing the problem rather than minute details in the issue.
How to encourage leadership skills among your employees
Although not every employee has the ability to become a great leader, many do have the talent and drive. Employers need to identify these individuals internally, and provide them the necessary opportunities and resources that will help them develop. The initiatives below will successfully encourage leadership development:
• Establish core values that include ethical, leadership, and innovation principles – One of the key ways to promote leadership in your company is to make it a guiding principal for all employees. Great leaders need to remain ethical, lead effectively, and strive for innovation. All employees should be encouraged to take on leadership opportunities in their department or division, however large or small.
• Encourage leadership training – Provide leadership training onsite or offsite for any employee who possesses the desire and skill to become a leader in their department or division.
• Establish a leadership program – Identify your future leaders, and invest in their skill. Work with outside vendors to establish a robust program that will prepare these individuals for the opportunities and challenges they’ll face as future leaders.
• Provide leadership recognition – Encourage leadership by recognizing individuals who have shown leadership in the positions and interactions. Provide awards and certificates to celebrate these accomplishments.
The bottom line
Leadership is a skill many professionals strive to obtain. True leaders, however, not only lead, but motivate, encourage innovation, and inspire others, as well. Employers who want to promote leadership in their companies need to establish core values with leadership principles, provide leadership training, and promote leadership recognition among their employees.